Saturday, November 29, 2008

More Blessings


Since there would be just three of us, Joe, my Mom and I had planned on going out for Thanksgiving dinner. For one of the few times in the almost 48 years we have been married, I was not going to have to prepare a big dinner. I also looked forward to having time to watch the Macy's parade on TV. It occurred to me that 1951 was the one and only year my family lived in New York City. I vaguely remember my Dad taking us to the Macy's parade that year. Now I realize it was a more than momentous occasion. I do recall all the bands and seeing the huge overhead balloons, with Santa bringing up the rear. One of my sisters remembers sitting atop my Dad's shoulders to view the parade over the crowd. Even then it drew a huge crowd. There is a wonderful website for this at http://www.macys.com/campaign/parade/parade.jsp.

But I digress, back to the present. As I said, we had every intention of sharing our holiday meal with other slackers at Cracker Barrel. However, our plans changed when I met up with a friend of mine last week. Although I had no intention of soliciting an invitation for Thanksgiving dinner, when I told my friend, Chris, that we were going to Cracker Barrel for dinner, she insisted we join her and Walt for dinner. It was a wonderful meal and even better company for the day. She had prepared a feast with all our favorites. Their other guests, Glen (who is a retired AF pilot) and Beverly (a retired nursing faculty)complemented the wonderful meal with interesting conversation. It was a perfect day and enjoyed by all. Thanks so much for having us, Walt and Chris!

No comments: