Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Life is Good!

Dinner at Silver Sands

Last weekend we drove down to New Smyrna Beach on the east coast of Florida to hook up with some of my old (and I say that lightly) high school friends. They are some of the "snowbirds" that migrate to Florida to get away from the winter cold. Most are from New York state, while one of my closest friends, Connie, and her husband Ralph live in Maryland outside of Washington D.C. Connie, Ralph and I have known each other since 10th grade, and Joe and Ralph have developed a nice friendship. Despite opposing political views, they manage to discuss a lot of interesting topics. There are also other friends from highschool vacationing here - Joan, Shirley, and Auggie among them. The weather has really been pretty brutal this year in most of the country, and they got down here right after Christmas and will be staying 2 or so months. We are having a wonderful time reminiscing, telling stories, discussing a variety of topics, and just enjoying each other's company. Yesterday, we had lunch at "Down Under" and had great seafood (see photo below) Today the weather is beautiful - about 75 degrees, with a clear, blue sky. I can hear the waves and surf hitting the beach as I write. The water is a beautiful blue-turquoise and this morning, while Joe and Ralph competed on the tennis court, Connie and I walked on the beach looking for sea glass and taking photos of different birds on the beach. This is a great area for shelling, golfing, eating good seafood and just relaxing in the sun. We will travel from here to Sebring, Florida to see another close friend of mine that was a neighbor when my family lived in Hagersville, Ontario Canada. We're looking forward to several more days of warm, sunny weather. Wish you were here!!

2 comments:

~Hui said...

Hi Grandma Hickox,

OOOoooo....the sun & the beach sound delightful! Wish I was there. =) I love to read your comments on my posts, they are like little blessings. Yes, the picture of my Aunt & me in Taiwan is my mom's older sister, they do look alike.

I send my love & blessings to you and Grandpa Hickox. Travel with angels.

Joe and Carolyn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.