Monday, February 23, 2009

Military Brats

Today I went to Ft. Mc Pherson to get a new military ID card. While I was sitting in the waiting area I noticed a poster on the wall. It said, "Month of the Military Child: Everyday Heroes." It made me remember how our two oldest children grew up with the label of "military brat." In my view of the world "military brat" is definitely a misnomer. Although military children are forced to survive a variety of changes, moves, schools and friends, I personally believe that the pros of being a military brat greatly outweigh the cons. I'm sure it depends on the individual, and the environment in which he or she is raised. But, on the whole, most military offspring with whom I have had contact tend to be flexible, outgoing, and happy to be exposed to the multitude of challenges and opportunities with which they are faced. Anyone who has lived the military lifestyle knows that the term military "family" has a different connotation than it might in other situations. In the military, blood is not necessarily thicker than water. You learn quickly that when you arrive at a new base you must make friends quickly, because your time is limited. It was not easy having Daddy leave for a year to participate in a war that no one understood. We never knew if he would be coming home or not. It forced me as a wife to take on responsibilities that were new, including all the care of our two (at the time) children. Kim started first grade without her Daddy to kiss goodbye, and Joey learned to "jump off the deep end" without him. Over the years, we all had to adjust to a variety of new houses, doctors, churches, schools, and friends. Now I see our son and his wife raising five children that are typical "military brats." His oldest daughter was asked about spending grade 9 and 10 in Germany, grade 11 in Washington, D.C. and then graduating from high school in Moscow, Russia. I'll bet most kids this age would be aghast at so many changes, but Mary enthusiastically responded "Yes". So, if the shoe fits, celebrate the Month of the Military Child!! You are each special, and definitely "Everyday Heroes."

No comments: