Sunday, March 1, 2009

In Like a Lion, Out Like a Lamb!



Today, March 1, we had a snowstorm in Atlanta!!! This is one of those things that happens once every few years (and only once in a year usually) around here. It has been raining for three days, and then this morning, which started out with a light mist, about 11 am the snow started. I happened to be in downtown Atlanta when it began, and by the time I headed home about 3 pm there was around 1-3 inches (and that's a lot for this neck of the woods) of snow on the ground, buildings and trees. It really looked like a fairy land (at least what you could see of it). The flakes were huge and plentiful as they fell. I had heard the streets nearby were getting bad, so when I left the parking deck, I feared slipping and sliding about. Fortunately, the city streets were just wet and slushy, and the interstates were clear and only wet. The visibility was something else, and I had to keep my wipers on high all the way home to be able to see. Tonight it is getting colder by the minute and the wind has kicked up causing the windchimes on the porch to make a continous tinkling sound. It is supposed to get down into the low twenties, and I only hope that the wet roads don't turn into treacherous icy speedways. Somehow drivers in the South haven't learned that you need to slow down when there is moisture on the roads. I can drive on snow, but ice, that is a whole 'nother ball game! So, if need be, I will just stay inside tomorrow, where it is warm, dry and safe, until this all blows over.

1 comment:

Karin said...

Snow in Georgia! Now I just might start beleiving Daddy's stories about his childhood- walking two miles in the snow, uphill both ways!